Image Map

Friday

Wedding: something old, something new





You might not believe this but deciding on my "something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue" for the wedding was incredibly hard. I had already planned my outfit down to a tee before I remembered this rhyme tradition, so it was hard to fit in extra things to make it work. I am not a superstitious person but for some reason I felt I just couldn't ignore having these components as part of my bridal outfit.

The first two were easy, being things I had already planned on wearing. My "something old" was the vintage wedding dress I wore (more on that in a later post). My "something new" was the pair of patent gold Mollini shoes that were way modern compared to my dress but seemed to fit right in.

The "something borrowed" was a whole lot harder. I didn't have any family heirlooms waiting to be cracked out, I was too particular to borrow someone else's veil, and I am not really one for much jewellery. But then by a stroke of magic things just fell into place - the earrings I had originally bought to wear were too blingy when I tried them on with my dress. Around the same time my grandmother sadly passed away, and I knew I really wanted to try to incorporate something of hers into the day to remember her by. My mother dug up a pair of pearl earrings surrounded by symmetric silver petals of my grandmother's, and they were absolutely perfect. So they formed my "something borrowed".

Though we were not having a church wedding, I knew I also wanted to have some kind of religious symbol hidden in my outfit to honour the faith that comes from both sides of our families. That was when my mother dug up another treasure - a small medallion of the Virgin Mary she had since she was a child. Even better was the fact that it was blue, so my "something blue" category was also crossed off. I pinned the medallion to my bouquet as a secret little detail, and it made me smile to know I had it as part of my day.

Has anyone else had the same challenge finding things that fit in with this old superstition? Or do you know what you would choose for your wedding day if you're yet to be married?

photographer: Christine Lim / dress: Bohemian Bisoux Vintage / shoes: Mollini

1 comment:

  1. Lovely narrative. It's good to have the opportunity to participate in traditions that have existed for centuries. All beautiful additions.

    ReplyDelete