Image Map

Friday

Etsy find: vintage world globes




Lately on Pinterest I have spied a mini-trend of using multiple vintage world globes to create stunning vignettes. Images like this, this and this have inspired me to have a go at creating my own, I love the old-world allure of the look and can get lost spinning my current sole globe to find countries and cities. The trick here to getting a nicely balanced vignette is to use globes of different shapes and sizes to arrange in a haphazard way, using height and texture (wood, metal etc) to create an eclectic look.

The only problem here is where to start. Vintage world globes have the reputation of being rather pricey, so amassing a small collection wouldn't come cheap. I was lucky enough to score a great one for $15 at an antique store that was closing down, but have since not been able to find anything for remotely close to that in price.

Enter Etsy. A quick search turned up thousands of results, and although not many are located Down Under many of the sellers will gladly post to Australia. Here are a few of my picks that don't break the bank:
  1. Pastel pivoting globe, $55AU
  2. Tin globe bank, $18.66AU
  3. Mid century school globe, $30AU

No comments:

Post a Comment